Honoured

In November 2011 I received the unbelievable news that I had been given a place in the 2012 Olympic Torch Relay. This was because of the Coca-Cola Future Flames program, in which you could be nominated for a particular reason, and then be chosen to carry the olympic flame on its journey around Britain.
My nomination story was about how I want to use my photography and art to help Antarctica, by showing people the beauty of Antarctica and what needs to be protected, whilst spreading awareness about the Antarctic Treaty that runs out in 2041, because of this I was given the honour to be a London 2012 Olympic Torch Bearer.

In 2008 I remember watching the Beijing Olympics Torch Relay and knowing that that was something I wanted to achieve in my life. To be a torchbearer would be such a testament of achievement, to be chosen to represent your country, whilst not being an athlete competing in the games would be such an honour, and this year I achieved that, thanks to 2041 and Coca-Cola, even though I haven't done anything yet!
On July 1st 2012 I found my self on the Torchbearer bus, heading along the relay route filled by a convoy of police, media and sponsors. In a bus full of Torchbearers, amazing people all with incredible stories, I find out, sitting across from me is Georgina Harland, a Bronze Medallist from Athens 2004.

I remember watching the Athens Olympics on a tiny TV in the cottage we were renting at the time whilst on summer holidays, this is the earliest Olympic moment I remember, as a 10 year old watching Athens thinking that the people competing where Gods and to be chosen to be an Olympian would be the highest honour possible. 8 years later I'm sitting on the same bus as one of the athletes that first inspired me, about to take part in the Olympic Torch Relay, it made me realise how honoured I was to be there.

I know I have used the word 'honoured' a fair few times in this post, but that really is the one word to describe my feeling, in fact I'm going to change the name of this post to that right now.

I felt this should be my first post for a number of reasons; Firstly, it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for my plans about Antarctica and the inspiration I have been given from Robert Swan and all those at 2041!
Secondly, it was a massive day in my life and one I will never forget, and always be grateful for.

But Thirdly its about being able to achieve anything we want, in 2008 I wanted to be a Torchbearer, and in 2011 when I saw the design of the 2012 Torch, I wanted nothing more than to have my own Olympic Torch.
Now I am sitting here writing about taking part in the relay, posting a video of me as a London 2012 Torchbearer and my 2012 Olympic Torch on the wall behind me, I know more than anyone, that anything is possible.

Thank you for reading!

Oli


 
© Copyright 2035 THE ANTARCTICA
Theme by Yusuf Fikri