Art Explosion

The original plan for Antarctica 2013 was for me to go to Antarctica for 2 weeks with the organisation called 2041, led by world famous polar explorer Robert Swan OBE. I would spend two weeks there learning about Antarctica, the environment and future energy solutions. When I returned I would create a series of paintings, drawings and photographs of Antarctica in an attempt to spread awareness about the Antarctic Treaty. Whilst also showing how important it is to protect Antarctica by spreading its beauty through art. This is still the plan!! However..

Recently I realised that this is not something I should go about alone. Art being used to show the magnificence of Antarctica should not be limited to one style by one person. Through speaking to a professional artist whom I made friends with well over a year ago now we concluded that a group of artists should be gathered that will follow me and my progress whilst in Antarctica through this blog. By taking my images, videos and stories of Antarctica they can create their own piece of Artwork inspired by Antarctica. This collaborative portfolio can then be exhibited showing Antarctica through the eyes of many rather than just me.

By including more artists, the return from Antarctica is no longer the end of the adventure. I have already started talking to schools in the local area about giving presentations to the children when I get back and also hosting art classes focusing on Antarctica as a theme. I also hope to host art competitions within the schools with the best pieces being exhibited alongside the original team of artists work.

This will inspire the children to get creative whilst also teaching them about the Antarctic treaty, the environment and the power of art. The prospect of children getting their art up in gallery space will hopefully leave a lasting impression and attract their families to the project spreading the message even further!
So far I have a few schools interested in taking part and a small group of confirmed artists aswell, at the moment the art group's age range is from 18-71 and goes as far as British Columbia, Canada!
This was just a quick update to tell you the direction I am heading in at the moment, Thank you all for reading. It means so much to me that so many people have taken interest in my project and Antarctica!
Oli
 
© Copyright 2035 THE ANTARCTICA
Theme by Yusuf Fikri